Insulating an existing porch roof void how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long porch at the front of my house which has tiles on like the rest of my 1980 detached house. Because the roof void was never insulated the porch becomes freezing in the winter. Inside the ceiling has no access to the roof. The walls are insulated. I did ask a builder for a quote and he said he would have to take 3 rows of tiles off remove the batterns and felt, put in the insulation and then refit the above and it would cost about £1000.
As a poorish 71 year old OAP if I took time and found out in detail what to do would it be something I could do or is there an alternative? Thanks
Alfie

Sponsored Links
You'll either have to put it in from the top as your builder suggested or go in through the ceiling. The problem that may be tricky to overcome will be getting ventilation in under the tiles. Do you know if there is felt under the tiles or not? In any case unless you remove all of the ceiling it may be quite awkward (and no offence) but are you fairly supple?

I have a long porch at the front of my house which has tiles on like the rest of my 1980 detached house. Because the roof void was never insulated the porch becomes freezing in the winter. Inside the ceiling has no access to the roof. The walls are insulated. I did ask a builder for a quote and he said he would have to take 3 rows of tiles off remove the batterns and felt, put in the insulation and then refit the above and it would cost about £1000.
As a poorish 71 year old OAP if I took time and found out in detail what to do would it be something I could do or is there an alternative? Thanks
Alfie
Alfie you might be eligable for a grant..and in any case the easier method would be to blow it in via removing just 1 tile.

How big is the roof void - is there space for someone to crawl around if you cut a new loft hatch from the inside?

Gary

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy,
yes there is felt under the tiles and I don’t want to remove the ceiling. As you say I am not supple anymore.

Hi flatroofer666,
Yes I would like to blow it in but I don’t know how or what to use. I am eligible I think but if I apply they want me to take up my main loft flooring to put extra insulation there which I don’t want to do. Tell me about how to blow in please is that a DIY job?

Hi garyo
Wish it was it is 5.5Mtr x 2Mtr and has a sloping roof 1Mtr high at the half way point. So no way one could get in from underside so I have to do something from the top.
Alfie.[/b]

Hi Freddy,
yes there is felt under the tiles and I don’t want to remove the ceiling. As you say I am not supple anymore.

Hi flatroofer666,
Yes I would like to blow it in but I don’t know how or what to use. I am eligible I think but if I apply they want me to take up my main loft flooring to put extra insulation there which I don’t want to do. Tell me about how to blow in please is that a DIY job?

Hi garyo
Wish it was it is 5.5Mtr x 2Mtr and has a sloping roof 1Mtr high at the half way point. So no way one could get in from underside so I have to do something from the top.
Alfie.[/b]
in your case it would invovle finding the crew doing it else where and forcing a couple of £20 notes into there hand including your address with the promise of tea and custard creams....more known as a backhander job :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back