insulating and securing loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am upgrading the loft insulation to 270mm and removing the cold tank and plumbing. I can't see any need to access the loft and I don't want tenants shoving stuff up there and spoiling the insulation.

The current loft hatch is a typical lift-out panel. Can I replace this with an insulated access panel that is held up by screws from below?

Sponsored Links
You could seal around the edge with painters chalking and give the loft hatch a coat of paint, then fit a hasp & staple at each end.

Draught proof and secure.

Andy

I don't know if you are doing this for legislative reasons, but since you know how to calculate U-values, do you feel this is worth it (270 mm ) ?

Sponsored Links
I don't know if you are doing this for legislative reasons
No, simply to stop tenants compacting the insulation. That's less of a reason and more of an excuse to avoid an accumulation of junk.
since you know how to calculate U-values, do you feel this is worth it (270 mm)?
I already had 100mm and Homebase are selling 170mm for £4/roll. I think the current recommendation is at least 250mm. I only need 6 rolls for small house. So for £24, yes.

Would I say it is worth losing 32sqm of your loft space to insulation to save less than 100W of heating averaged over the year? No, not really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back