Insulating behind roof braces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding extra fiberglass batts to bring my total insulation to R40.

What's bothersome is reaching behind those braces.

2ika4hu.png
Ignore the arrow

The headroom is already very low (4 feet in the center).

The braces are on every joist, so I'd need to be some sort of acrobat to get behind there and manage to lay my batts across (Not between) the joists.

Are there any suggestions?

I'm thinking of using a pole (The sort you use to paint cealings) and operate from the center of the attic... sort of like a "Fing-longer"

1671lrq.jpg
[/i]

Sponsored Links
take a convenient piece of 18mm ply up there that you can kneel, sit or lie on in reasonable comfort while working.

Obviously work from the part you have not insulated yet.

In the UK we would usually buy the insulation rolled up tightly, then (if necessary) you cut the roll to the correct width with a saw or breadknife before rolling it straight out down the length of the loft.

take a convenient piece of 18mm ply up there that you can kneel, sit or lie on in reasonable comfort while working.

The problem are the braces. As you see, there is a lot of distance (about a meter) to cover before I can get to a piece of plywood placed over joists. I can't just step between the joists and braces.

In the UK we would usually buy the insulation rolled up tightly, then (if necessary) you cut the roll to the correct width with a saw or breadknife before rolling it straight out down the length of the loft.

Here they are precut batts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back