Insulating between ceiling and first floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I've recently bought a house that was built around 1990. the upstairs floorboards (T&G chipboard) are rather squeaky and could do with a bit of extra support in a few places. I'm planning on lifting the floor in each room as I redecorate, and adding in support where needed, then screwing the boards down properly.

Whilst I am doing it, is it okay to insulate the pace between the boards and the ceiling below? There's two reasons I want to do that. First of all is to try and keep the heat in the rooms we want warm, and secondly to try and cut down on noise travelling from downstairs to the bedrooms. The main room I want to do that in, is my daughters room. It is directly above the living room, and you can hear the TV through the ceiling quite clearly. I thought that adding insulation like the stuff put in lofts (fluffy stuff in a roll) would help dampen out some of the noise travelling through.

Are there any specific products that would be best suited to this job?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
probably wouldn't make much difference to noise and if you have spot lights, you would have to leave space around them anyway as well as clear ventilation through the void. you can buy rubber sound proof matting to lay on top of the floorboards. It should be sealed around the edges with silicone and does a fantastic job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back