Insulating between floor joists - is this not worth doing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When in doubt ask.

Is there any benefit to insulating between internal floors joists ? Besides some small benefit that may be gained from reducing sound it seems like a lot of work for not much benefit ?

Sponsored Links
I've done it in the floor over an unheated integral garage, because I was laying a new floor so there was little extra effort. It does cut heat loss.

Otherwise, heat loss from floors is mostly draughts, especially round the edges of the room and under the skirting. An old house may have draughts through the gaps round joist ends built into the brickwork, or the roof of a bay window or porch. There is no convection, little conduction, and negligible radiation loss through a floor. Seal any cracks and gaps, e.g. round pipes, with fireproof expanding foam. In a terraced house, odours from the neighbours can get through, expecially if they are smokers.

Bare floorboards are colder and noisier than carpets.

It slightly muffles noise, but if that is your aim, use denser mineral wool batts, as the weight improves noise absorption. Cavity wall batts are denser than loft rolls or you can buy a soundproofing grade at higher cost. I now do it whenever replacing a floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back