Insulating between floors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I live in a modern three storey house (10 years old). My kitchen is upstairs and I'm starting a refurb of it soon. I want to replace the 22mm chipboard on the floor for 22mm solid wood floorboards. They are fit over an I style joist. Now the problem I have is with regard to sound transmission downstairs. People walking above can be quite noisy and I would like to dampen the sound a bit. Would new boards be good enough? Would I need to insulate between floors too? I know that I would need to watch out not to pack rockwool (for example) too tight for electrical cables. Is there anything on the market that would do a better job?? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Liam999uk1, good evening.

Suggest you have a look at the products made by "Quietex"

Back in the day in shall I call it more traditional builds with actual wooden joists, the deafening was achieved by installing most of the time poor quality timber boards between the joists then infilling with ash from the burning of all the coal fires that were in plentiful supply.

Bottom line is that sound finds it difficult to permeate a solid mass, and that appears to be the trick, mass.

But?? are the floor joists installed in your property man enough to take the imposed load of the additional load [mass] of the retro-filled Quietex [the aggregate type] on the plus side??? the deafening boards could be slotted on to the top surface of the bottom timber part of the "I" beam, the deafening boards in this instance could be cheap ply of Sterling board???

Ken

a word of advice if thinking of removing chipboard from i joists
if they are tji's built around 10 years ago they would have been fitted using a mastic type PU adhesive and sealant. so removing floor with make a hell of a mess maybe even laminate the top of the joists also your walls will be built on top of flooring

Sponsored Links
Stuffing rockwools cheap and easy, just keep it away from the ring main, and don't worry about the lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back