Insulating ceiling next to conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a large 20m2 conservatory that is maybe 20 years old with double glazing and a polycarbonate roof. The conservatory is built off a 16m2 dining room that was converted from an old garage about the same time.

They have been added over the years to an old cottage, and are linked together through a large open arch. The dining room has been dry lined but with the pitch and mock beams retained. It is neither convincing or functional.

I am building an MF ceiling in the dining room to lower and level the original ceiling. It was an interesting DIY project because I had not used that sort of thing before and I enjoyed doing it. But I now need to add the plasterboard and LED spots.

Before I do so my question is 'should I include any insulation in this new ceiling void?' because the conservatory is so bloomin' cold in winter I can't see any benefit in doing so; any heat will rise and quickly deflect through the gap into the conservatory.

Does anyone think part insulating the total area will have any benefit when the other half is so inefficient? Does anyone have any advice or comment please; there will not be enough clearance to hang insulating curtains across the gap in winter, and I can't afford to build folding doors between the two at the moment.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back