Condensation in polycarbonate roof conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a south facing conservatory which has a polycarbonate roof on. The room was unbearable on sunny summer days and needed continuous heating during winter. Last year we fitted a honey comb conservatory blind and that changed everything for us. Great in summer and amazing heat retention in winter.

The problem I'm now facing is that for the second winter in a row, I have a very high level of condensation forming between the blind and the roof and it is starting to drip everywhere.

I could leave the blind open at night but this would mean freezing cold conservatory, kitchen and dining room in the morning (not to mention a very high heating bill)

Any ideas how I could fix this issue (while keeping the blinds on)?

Your help is much appreciated.

C

Sponsored Links
freezing cold conservatory, kitchen and dining room in the morning (not to mention a very high heating bill)
close the door between the conservatory and the indoor rooms.

This will stop the warm moist air from the house going into the conservatory, and will prevent the cold air from the conservatory going into the house.

de-humidifier would stop the condensation, have you many plants in the house as they can be a cause of moisture.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Unfortunately there is no door between the conservatory and the indoor rooms and the conservatory need to be livable in the morning because it is the toddler's playroom.

We have left only one small plant in that room too.

I'll try a dehumidifier and see how it goes.

Thanks again

C

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We have started to insulate traditional polycarbonate roofs & plasterboard & skim under the existing glazing bars.
Keeps the look of a conservatory roof from the outside with a traditional ceiling on the inside.
Warm in the winter & cooler in the summer. Benefits as follows;

1.Reduced heat loss through roof
2.Easier to heat in winter
3.Stops sun glare which fades furniture
4.Reduces noise from heavy rainfall/hail stones
4.Allows client to decorate to their choice
//www.diynot.com/network/randyandy/albums/

Hi,

We have started to insulate traditional polycarbonate roofs & plasterboard & skim under the existing glazing bars.
Keeps the look of a conservatory roof from the outside with a traditional ceiling on the inside.
Warm in the winter & cooler in the summer. Benefits as follows;

1.Reduced heat loss through roof
2.Easier to heat in winter
3.Stops sun glare which fades furniture
4.Reduces noise from heavy rainfall/hail stones
4.Allows client to decorate to their choice
//www.diynot.com/network/randyandy/albums/[/QUOTE]

then becomes subject to building regs and possibly planning!!!

Still a conservatory as it is still a polycarbonate roof.
Most conservatories are exempt from building regulations.

If you make it part of the house (as opposed to temporary) it has to comply with building regs - all of them

Now why would I want a conservatory with a plasterboard inner skin on the roof?
I want it warm in March when the sun shines and it is cold outside . .
I don't want the roof to collapse because there is too much weight on the rafters . .

An insulated ceiling = Warmer in winter .. Cooler in Summer!
Conservatory roofs have been designed to withstand wind/snow & are extremely strong. They can certainly take the additional lightweight plasterboard & insulation.
Mines been completed for 6 years & no probs :D

Still a conservatory as it is still a polycarbonate roof.
Most conservatories are exempt from building regulations.

you are reducing the amount off glass/plastic which has to be be quite a high percentage to classify as a temporary structure

you are also insulating it which now means the structure must now comply with building regs
and the clincher you must have a fully secure exterior door between house and conservatory to comply with regs
in other words you must be able to remove the conservatory and leave a fully secure weather proof house without doing any thing like rehanging doors

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...kcommonconservatory/workmorebregsconservatory

lifted from the gov uk web site

"
Conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:

1. They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area
2. At least half of the new wall and three quarters of the roof is either glazed or translucent material
3. The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality door(s).
4. Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below).

You are advised not to construct conservatories where they will restrict ladder access to windows serving rooms in roof or loft conversions, particularly if any of the windows are intended to help escape or rescue if there is a fire.

Any new structural opening between the conservatory and the existing house will require building regulations approval, even if the conservatory itself is an exempt structure.

Further Information

The following common work section gives an indication of another element normally required to satisfy the requirements of the Regulations for conservatories:

Doors and windows
Electrics "

The roof is still there (100% polycarbonate)
So as far as i am concerned it is still a Conservatory!
(just a warmer one in winter & a cooler one in summer) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back