Insulating extension rafters - foil tape over first layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently doing the insulation for newly built kitchen extension that has a pitched roof. This is being done to building regs - 100mm celotex (GA4100) between the (150mm) rafters, coming flush to the internal face of the rafters, then another 50mm + 12.5mm plasterboard will go over the top (I'm using PL4050 for this).

I've friction fitted the 100mm layer between the rafters and I'm foil taping where celotex edges meet each other. Do I also need to foil tape over where the celotex meets the rafter? How thorough does this need to be given the PL4050 is going on top? Should it cover the rafters entirely so its all foil and no wood showing?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
We foil tape and foam everything. But I've always been a belt and braces kinda guy.

'Robust' is the word of the day.

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard is bonded to the 50mm insulation that's going on top, so I guess that wont form a vb, and means it would be a good idea to tape all over this layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back