Insulating floor of shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting up a shed/workshop in the back garden. The one I have my eye on is 2.46m high and will be located 800mm from the boundary so height is an issue. I want to insulate the shed for year round use and I am struggling to see how I can do this with the floor.

At the moment I am looking at using recycled plastic lumber to build a frame, as you would with treated timber, to hold the insulation and sit the shed on, I have chosen plastic as it does not rot. Due to the height restriction I wanted to know if I could locate the frame and insulation below ground level so only the top 30mm or so is above ground level.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
my thoughts you need airflow under the shed to keep the timbers dry now in general you loose the least amount off heat via the the floor because hot air rises and in general you have fairly still air under a shed
concentrate on the roof and wall for insulation and perhaps a rubber mat floor assuming not a fully messy workshop

I am having visions of what you might be planning to do in this shed!

Insulation is only needed if you are planning on spending money on heating it. At current/future costs that could be quite expensive!

I would be thinking of using insulating building blocks on their side as they are unaffected by damp. Although I would put a dpm underneath them to keep them dry.

Sponsored Links
I have found through many hours in a brick garage and concrete floors, some kind of duckboard or rubber grid flooring and stout footwear is a godsend. For lying on the floor, I have a maybe 75 mm thick slab of hard foam intended for car mechanics.
As heat rises, the ceiling may be the first choice to insulate so that body heat is retained in the shed. A human body creates about 100w of heat. Obviously it depends on activity
If supplying power, maybe supply enough for a heater which could be used to take the initial chill off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back