insulating garage conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently have a single brick detached garage. flat roof (new). slab floor.

a) i intend to insulate the slab directly on top with some sort of insulant. then flooring timber on top of this. (WILL THIS BE OKAY)?

b) what do i do to the walls. i need to keep the wall as thin as possible but with max insulation as it will eventually be habitable. do i :

fix studs directly to brickwork, insulate between studs then fix plasterboard. if so how do i stop any penetrating damp.

or

leave a cavity and build a timber stud all round walls so that the timber is not in contact with the wall.

if i was to use membrane how would i fix it.

cheers
matt

Sponsored Links
it will eventually be habitable.

This is where you are in a grey area. If you do all the work, then apply to make it habitable, the insulation requirements might not do. So you'll have to tear it down and redo it.

What do you mean by habitable?

If you intend on moving in permanently and living in it, or renting it out, then you should get this all done properly with plans etc. Peace of mind and will save headaches etc. later.

Hi, I converted my garage about a year ago in much the same way as it is a single skin job.

Building regs only required 75mm Celotex all round.

I used liquid dpm on the walls to prevent any damp and then timber studs with the 75mm Celotex between then PB.

Only trouble came with the flat roof ventilation as you cannot insulate to the top as the roof timbers require 50mm cross ventilation.

Hope that helps, but beware that all building control offices interpret the rules differnetly, so check first.

Sponsored Links
Matt

Get yourself some heavy duty plastic sheeting, cut to shape and fix between the studs directly to the wall to give the brick a damp course. Insulate and fix your studs directly to to the wall then plasterboard over the top. I found this worked well in my garage.

Dave :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back