Insulating interior stone rubble wall and fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We live in a 1895 stone cottage in Wales. No damp course.

I have recently knocked through a fireplace and plan to rip out some alcove cupboards either side of the chimney breast. The cupboards are quite damp and unsuable inside - a mixture of rising damp and not being aired enough.

We plan to put an 'occassionaly used' log burner in there.

See here:

We have solid stone rubble walls and these alcoves and chimney are on an exterior wall.

I'd like to insulate this whole wall - i.e. alcoves, chimney breast and exposed stone inside the chimney opening.

Whats the best way to do this?

Tanalised battens, plasterboard and kingspan?

Sponsored Links
easiest way would be to dot and dab insulated plaster bored to the wall. Be sure to treat your damp prob first. Or you may find the smells may start to linger.

Easiest as long as you can dot and dab. If you can't then Celotex / Kingspan against the wall, 25mm counter batten fixed through and plasterboard over the top. Foil tape the joints on the insulation before boarding.

And yes, you will need to see to the damp issue first.

Edit: There is a world of difference in the line of thermal boards too. From expanded polystyrene, extruded polystyrene, PIR, phenolic, 9.5mm boards and 12.5mm boards. Personally, I'd go for a 12.5mm board, backed with PIR (Celotex) as thick as you can resonably fit.

Thanks Guys.

Dot and dab would be ok for most of it, but the stone work in the chimney cavity is probably too bumpy and random.

How would I fix the rising damp on this stone rubble wall?

Inside the cupboard is damp up to a tide line of about 1-2ft. We dont have a damp course.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I managed to get a damp proofing guy out today to look at sorting the damp.

He quoted £1500 (3-5 days) to take back to the stone up to 1m high, inject DPC, tank, render and plaster.

He said there's no need to insulate the wall (although I have other reasons for doing this).

This includes the 2 alcoves, chimney breast, inside chimney plus 2 other walls (3.6m, 1m and 1m lengths).

30 year guarantee.

It seems a lot but I have no idea on what this type of thing costs.

Can anyone advise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back