Insulating Kitchen, no cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1930's semi doesn't have cavity wall.
I am gutting the kitchen and taking back to the brick
Thinking of insulting the exterior wall before fitting the kitchen

Would this be best done on inside or outside?

If on the inside using batons and kingspan type insulation would this affect fitting a kitchen, or make it harder, is there anything I should think of?

OR do i not need to insulate as it should be a warmish room?

cheers

Sponsored Links
if your putting cabinets up, what i would do is before the plasterboard, screw 3/4 ply to the stud work. Then when you fix everything you dont have to look for studs, just fix direct. Proper solid wall.

Would the ply be strong enough to hang a cupboard full of plaster and cups off?

Sponsored Links
Yea course it will.

Stud the wall out, insulate etc, then use 3/4 or 1" thick board ( i used to get really expensive marine type ply for nothing it was about £40 a sheet) And use as little cuts as possible, so EG. 3 full 8ft boards and a little bit for the edge. Use 3 inch screws to fix. The plasterboard and plaster. All your cabinets and worktop will fix perfect to it.

When fixing the cabinet "fixings" use some Good thick screws

Make sure when you stud it out, you fix them good, even gripfill the wall edge of the wood.

If you plan it right, you could "ply" all walls that have cabinets on. Just remember that youll de adding 3/4 or 1" to the wall so door linings will need to be slighty deeper.

And your house will fall down before the cabinets.

how big is the kitchen? can you afford to lose 3 or 4" inwards? What i mean is, you said batten the walls, but id try and use bigger wood if you can. Say use 3x1,1/2 but turn it flat on the wall so its 3" wide across the wall and 1,/2 deep.

If you go to wickes or bnq get there studwork timber, its cheap and perfect for your house. If you cant lose that much, just use battons will be ok as long as there deep enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back