Insulating Loft confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After putting this job off for erm nearly 3 years I have today finally got round to emptying our loft of all the accumulated crap up there. After 6 boot loads to the local recycle center the loft is much more empty now. I am unsure what to do with regards to insualting it, the existing insulation is approx 50-60mm max and just under a half of the loft space has been covered with T&G chipboard. My question is do I board throughout so its level then add more insulation on top or take the flooring up then re-insulate. I do need boards up there as we still have stuff to store and having had the Mrs put her foot through the roof 2 years ago and her nearly doing it again today I think i would prefer boards. If I go for option one can I lay board on top?

Also in my roof rafters there is no insulation at all and I can see the outside in places, is it worth getting rockwool up between the rafters then roll the foil blankets over it or is this overkill?

Sorry for the long question but really unsure what to do

many thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
There are exactly 4,329 threads (I counted them all, count them yourself if you don't believe me) on the forum already asking exactly what you have asked.

wow 4329, what are the odds, especially as i wouldn't have thought so many people would not know which product to put between the roof rafters or if its worth it in addition to the loft floor insulation. Small world eh :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back