Loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive recently moved into a house where the former owners took advantage of the government schemes to insulate their home, they have had a decent depth of rockwool type insulation put in the loft, between the rafters is filled and then a second layer is laid on top of that at 90 degrees to it.

I would like to turn the loft into a usable space. Im keen to keep the heat insulating benefits but the space isnt very tall and the only way to be able to board out the floor area seems to be to lay additional rafters on top of the existing set at 90 degrees. Id rather not do this as head height is already a bit poor.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to remove one layer or insulation and board it out, then use something like kingspan to insulate in between the roof timbers instead, does this sound sensible? Alternatively could I use the rockwood that ive removed up against the roof or would it cause damp problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless you do a new loft conversion, which i think you don't have the head height, then your loft will only be for light storage. You should of bought a bigger house.

Andy

If you remove some of the ceiling-level insulation and try and make up for it by insulating the sloping part of the roof, it will not be as effective.

Plus you may get condensation problems if the rafter-insulation is not fitted correctly.

The only way to maintain your present level of heat insulation is to forget this idea.

Sponsored Links
If you remove some of the ceiling-level insulation and try and make up for it by insulating the sloping part of the roof, it will not be as effective.

Plus you may get condensation problems if the rafter-insulation is not fitted correctly.

The only way to maintain your present level of heat insulation is to forget this idea.

Thanks Tony, its nice to have a constructive response. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back