Insulating Over Spotlights

BE. point taken regarding the prestressed joist. I will do no further drilling.

BAS. Thank you for the standards, I will follow as directed. However not sure what else I should have done to allow the wires to access the next section of the ceiling without drilling the joist at this point.

Cheers

Z

Sponsored Links
BAS, size of ceiling joists does not matter, they should not be drilled (England & Wales building regs)

Also I would be very careful about what you are doing up there & how much weight you are going to be putting on those ceiling joists (trusses) as they are only really meant to be strong enough to hold the roof on and the ceiling up.

I hate new builds. Always the bare minimum with very little flexability at all.

Well certainly in my case

Z

However not sure what else I should have done to allow the wires to access the next section of the ceiling without drilling the joist at this point.
Pass them over the tops of the joists...

BAS, size of ceiling joists does not matter, they should not be drilled (England & Wales building regs).
Nothing in the regs about that.

Sponsored Links
It used to be you had to have at least 50mm either side of the hole to the top and bottom of the joist. But thats almost impossible now with these new builds. But i would say a hole is better than checking the joist, doesnt weaken it as much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back