Insulating pipes in the loft.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

At the end of my two storey house is a small 1 storey utility room with a small loft above it. Measures around 2.3m x 1.7m. Because the boiler is in the utility room, four pipes run up into the loft and then through the middle of it. The pipes are all quite close together. I'm planning to board the loft over the weekend and use it for storage, and am wondering what the best way to insulate the pipes would be. At the moment, they are just wrapped in the same normal fluffy stuff the rest of the loft is insulated with.

I have a plan and wondered if anyone can comment on it (I'm a bit of a DIY novice). Because the pipes run above the joists, I planned to remove the insulation from beneath the pipes, and NOT put any boards beneath the pipes either. After boarding the rest of the loft, I then planned to box the pipes in. But I was going to make the box (well move of a 'n' shape then a box!) taller than it needs to be so that I can sit some insulation on top of the pipes.

But is it ok to box pipes in like this with insulation? Or could it get too hot in there?

Also, can I leave the current insulation that's wrapped around the pipes as it is (and put more on top)? Or is it best to have no insulation at all beneath the pipes, so the heat from the house will rise and heat them?

I have some spare cavity wall insulation - Rocksilk RS60 100mm. Is it ok to use this on top of the pipes?

Or is my plan stupid and should I start again?

Any pointers would be great.

Cheers

Max

PS - I thought an added bonus to boxing the pipes would be giving them some protection for when I'm putting things in the loft or moving them about.....

Sponsored Links
Well the week=end has passed so maybe you have done it all.

1) It is a good idea not to insulate beneath things you wish to prevent freezing. It is standard practice with water-tanks in lofts.

2) Fibre-wool 'catches fire" at over 1,000 C so your few pipes carrying water at maybe 70 C pose no risk.

3) leave the existing insulation on top of the pipes and add if you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back