Insulating Roof Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the roof of my house is being retiled and felted with a breathable membrane.

The house is a period property with yorkshire stone roof, however it has suffered from dry rot in parts.

Now seems the perfect time to add insulation as it has none.

I measured the roof trusses gap and it is around 5.8 - 7 cm. in parts.
I ordered 45mm kingspan insulation and left a gap to allow airflow to prevent any condensation.

As I understand I will need a vapour barrier before installing the insulation on the warmer side.

Would I see any benefit in installing multi layer foil insulation and using as the vapour barrier instead of a plastic roll?

I have looked on the internet and it appears that single foil / bubble wrap causes condensation whereas multi foil does not?
Also I notice it is questionable as to how well it works, however surely it should work well for reflecting radiant heat?

The price of the foil is £120 so it does not appear too expensive.

Any advise would be great.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a room in the roof, it is fully plastered. but there are no radiators installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back