Insulating under the attic floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a poser:
I'd like to improve the insulation under my attic boards. There's a 4" gap under the boards, with fibreglass in it. Any suggestions for thin insulation materials - the equivalent of 6" / 150mm insulation or so? Ideally I'd like it physically strong enough so I can cover the joists & not get compressed, to get rid of the thermal bridges. I'd rather not add more joists if I can get away with it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit pointless to me. You already have an insulated, boarded out loft, why make more work for yourself? The boards themselves will insulate as well to a certain extent.
The only thing to suggest would be to rip out the floor, cross batten and add thicker insulation, before boarding up again. I'm not going into details though, there are plenty of recent posts explaining this procedure.

"...thin insulation materials - the equivalent of 6" / 150mm insulation ..."

If you could get a one-inch insulation that was equivalent to six inches, we'd all be using it.To get six inches of insulation, youy need to use six inches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back