Maximising insulation and loft space...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to purchase a house and as it has a 30 degree pitched roof, I'd like to utilise as much of it as possible for storage. The current insulation is 100mm thick fibreglass rolls.

I'd like keep 100mm thickness, but maximise the insulation in that space (above the 1st floor ceiling, filling the voids between the joists), with a view to boarding some of the attic space for storage.

From some initial research it would appear that to get the most effective amount of insulation in this space would be to use phenolic insulation boards (Kingspan Kooltherm, or the inferior Celotex).

These are seemingly the most expensive, and they 'lose' their thermal effectiveness over time.

Is there anything else I'm missing, or are these really the most effective insulation solution for the attic?

I've seen the foil rolls that can be used for insulation. Would these be better, or equal to the Kingspan? Could the foil rolls be 'layered' to gain insulation properties?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back