Insulating void walls in dormer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am new to the site and new to DIY in general. I am living in a dormer house and with quite a lot of work needing doing, I have had lots of different tradesmen round and conflicting advice all over the place.

Anyway, my current project is insulating the walls surrounding the bedrooms. each bedroom has a void hatch door and you can pretty much walk at a crouch/crawl the full length of one wall in each bedroom.

(Not sure if this would be easier with pics but anyhow..) from what I can see, I have my bedroom wall which is like a breeze block and then there is my void which you can get behind and then it is the bottom of my roof/top of wall. There only looks to be a bit of wool like insulation between the rafters

What I am looking to do is basically just tag on some insulation to the back of the bedroom walls to try and hold some heat. The chap who I had round to look at it said he would just kingspan the back of the walls with a thin layer of polythene so the walls would still had airflow

I am no expert at all but I have just heard stories of people going over the top with insulation and then the walls sweating

What do you guys think would be best? I have seen foil-like insulation and all sorts but I haven't a clue

Thanks for your help in advance and keep up the good work, this forum seems a great community

Paul

Sponsored Links
You would be best helped if you post some pics, and a sketch outline (plan view) of the walls in question.

The chap who I had round to look at it said he would just kingspan the back of the walls with a thin layer of polythene

That's what I'd do, apart from the polythene bit. Fix foil-backed Kingspan/Celotex/Xtratherm to the back of the wall with expanding foam. Even 50mm will make a difference, but you might use 75mm or 100mm if there is room to do it.

No need to insulate the rafters in the void, but ensure that area is well-ventilated from the eaves.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
thank you for the quick responses. I will get some pictures together and draw a little sketch.

Hi guys, just a quick picture and sketch, can you give me a better idea as to what would be best to insulate the wall/space?

Thanks!

2wemeww.jpg

2ur563t.jpg

Thanks

How much expanding foam would I need and what is the best stuff?

How much do you apply to the wall and in what pattern?

I don't think I will be attempting to do it myself, although it looks pretty simple. I just like to have the best understanding I can have when someone turns up to fit it

The first chap said he would just glue and nail it to the wall straight on with no foam or polythene

I've glued it with low-expansion foam, I've also used PU glue. If you're not planning on doing it yourself, just let the chap doing it use whatever he intends to use - no point second guessing it based on advice from a forum.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back