Insulating the Floor of a Timber Framed House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

One of the bedrooms in my house is located above my garage. The garage door is draugthy as hell, and in the winter, the coldness rises from the garage into the bedroom above.

I dont think the floor of the bedroom is insulated. Can I lay insulation in the floor void? I wasnt planning on totally filling the floor void, just say 1/2 filling it, so allowing some airflow (although, I apprecite, not as much as the house was build designed to have.)

Any ideas?

James

Sponsored Links
Rather than lift any of the floor above the garage to install insulation and have to move carpets, furniture , and cut up flooring it would be easier to fix it to the existing garage ceiling and then overboard with plasterboard and have it skimmed ( which it needs to conform to Building Regulations ). Tackling the draughty garage door would also help and wouldn't cost much .

Thanks for the reply.

The room is already totally empty-waiting for carpet, so ripping up floorboards is no problem.

"fix it to the existing garage ceiling "

Nice idea, but the roof of the garage is alredy plasterboarded and putting insulation onto this, and then re-covering with plasterboard would interfer with the garage door.

With regards to the draughty garage door, I am trying to sort this at the moment (just for the record, sealing a garage door is very, very tricky; unlike windows they don't, open and close squarely or evenly!)

You could use Netlon to suspend rockwool in the cavity. Lift the floor, staple the Netlon across the joists leaving enough slack to suspend the rockwool between the joists then close the floor.

Sponsored Links
geo-b

Why suspend the rockwool in the cavity, could it not simply lie on top of the garage roof. Just asking

Cheers

Quote[So allowing some airflow]

As the man say's in his post. Netlon costs buttons & having the insulation directly below the floorboards allows the air to flow below this. If laid on the top side of the ceiling the airflow would be coming through the spaces in the boards. The cavity would be 6", the rockwool is usually 4" although it does come in various thicknesses.

Can not see why you need to maintain an air flow in what is effectively only floor joists not dissimilair to any loft expanse. Would not a simple, fast, and effective way be to have full blown insulation rockwool (rather than the foam) through the plasterboard ceiling of the garage, a job done in about an hour and no mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back