Insulating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving into an old house very soon, the house has a seperate double garage with a pitched roof with 3 single rooms attached to it.
The construction is block wall and felt roof.
We want to make this a bit more habitable so we can use it all year round.
My idea was to block up the garage door, fit batterns to the inside of all the exterior walls at 450mm gaps and fill with insulation and then cover with plasterboard.
I am also going to plasterboard out the ceilings, create a loft hatch so I can fill with insulation.
Am either going to felt, shingle or fit lightweight steel tiles to the roof......depending on price.
I do not know what sort of damp proof the building has, what I am afraid of is after doing all this that later on I get the smell of mould and cannot see it as its behind the new plasterboard so have to rip all out looking for it.
What can I do to stop or remedy this.....is there something I can paint on the existing walls etc?
Other questions are:
What insulation to use for walls. Was looking at Kingspan but I think its out of my budget to be honest. What about Rockwall or Polystyrene?
What type of plasterboard for walls and ceilings. Foil backed etc?
Do I need a vapour barrier anywhere.
What would I need to do to the floor?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Sponsored Links
What insulation to use for walls. Was looking at Kingspan but I think its out of my budget to be honest. What about Rockwall or Polystyrene?

Fibre wool and polystyrene have the same insulation value but you may find the fibre-wool with a big subsidy from the energy producers.

What type of plasterboard for walls and ceilings. Foil backed etc?

Whatever type you like, though the foil-backing serves as a vapour-barrier ( tape joints too ) which you do need.

What would I need to do to the floor?

The existing floor or a new floor you want to put in ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back