Insulation advice please

9 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I am building an extension to the rear of my house. The was a partial extension alreaady in place from the 70,s which only acted as an extension to my rear room. The new extension replaces the old one and also adds a new section to my kitchen.

Anyway, I knock down the old extension so that the brickwork would be new, across the whole of the new construction, rather than having new and old brickwork showing. In doing this, we removed the old extension and rebuilt it using the original footing. We continues the footing and cavity of the old extension into the new area.

We were unable to use cavity wall insulation as the cavity was too tight, so I need to insulate intenally. I was going to insulate using 30mm kingspan, dabbed to the internal blocks then cover with a 12mm plasterboard and skim. Would this be give me sufficient insulation resistance to satisfy the building regs. Or am I way off the ball.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Think you need to check with Building inspector.why trust a strangers advice only to find you have wasted your time and money?
You need to insulate the cavity with the thickness specified on the plans.
modern regs are 75mm cavity bats or check with Kingspan to see how there product compares to bats in efficiency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links