Insulation approach for garage/house wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it worth adding external wall insulation over the outside of a (presumed uninsulated) cavity wall on the ground floor only?

The house is extended on three sides and one of these is the garage (wall inside garage is the original render). Inside are the two rooms we spend most time in, so I wonder if this is low hanging fruit for insulation.

There's plenty of room to put up 2-300mm of mineral wool with a stud wall but I'm not sure whether this will be worthwhile - will heat from the inner leaf convect rapidly up the cavity anyway? Will the fact that the first floor is not insulated exteriorly just suck the heat up out of the lower masonry?

I haven't been able to access the top of the cavity due to the strange roof construction (last foot of the ceilings in the 1st floor are pitched, so can't inspect from the loft) but I assume it's open, and there's no evidence of cavity insulation having been applied in the past.

The house is extended on two more sides so I assume this is because CWI would put some rooms outside the thermal envelope, but that's another story...

The alternative is to insulate internally, but the decoration is to a good standard and it introduces all that condensation worry.

Welcome any input on what's worth doing!

cheers,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well it may help but as you say with a cavity between it and your toasty internal rooms it probably won't be very effective. You could consider cavity wall insulation but that has to be done with caution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back