Insulation around recessed light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a number of spotlights in our upstairs bedrooms. Each of these protrude into the loft space I.e. Stand c. 10cm tall in the loft space, above the plasterboard ceiling.

We are insulating our loft with replacement material and are not clear how we deal with insulating around the light fittings, as I know that we need to leave a gap of c. 30cm fully around the light fitting. I.e. We need to keep the insulation at least 30cm back from the light fittings on all sides.

However, if we do that, for each spotlight we would then have a 30cm square area where we only have a sheet of plasterboard between our freezing attic and our upstairs bedrooms / bathrooms, which would to some extent defeat the purpose of laying new insulation.

Is there a solution for this, that would still allow a 30cm gap around the light fitting but would prevent any draught from coming down from the attic?

Sponsored Links
yes, you can buy hoods for downlighters, or you can make a box out of plasterboard (which is also fireproof). Their main purpose is to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through the hole in the ceiling, but they will also prevent insulation from flopping onto the light fitting.

I hope you have put some kind of energy-saving lamp in these downlighters.

yes, you can buy hoods for downlighters, or you can make a box out of plasterboard (which is also fireproof). Their main purpose is to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through the hole in the ceiling, but they will also prevent insulation from flopping onto the light fitting.

I hope you have put some kind of energy-saving lamp in these downlighters.

Yup they're all energy saving gu10 led bulbs.

Is something like this the right kind of product?

http://www.electrical2go.co.uk/auro...s_xvmrjZMcbId1dSP6cvFKppkN8vnBo2XEaApLX8P8HAQ

If so, are there alternatives that work better or are they all pretty much of a muchness?

that would do. Also look at smoke hoods.

Sponsored Links
how would that stop insulation flopping onto the lamps?

If you want DIY, made plasterboard boxes.

how would that stop insulation flopping onto the lamps?

If you want DIY, made plasterboard boxes.

How about six 2x2's (so 12inch wide) butted against each other across the joists, 3 on either side of where the light fitting is?

Do whatever you want.

That's not very helpful!

I'm looking for some guidance, if there's an issue in putting six 2 by 2's butted against each other across the joists then I need to know before pressing ahead with it, therefore would appreciate advice / confirmation that this is a viable option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back