Insulation beneath block and beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - some advice if I may for a house built in 1996;

In consideration that I can only fit a maximum of 30mm above the B&B floor does anyone see a issue with insulating with a thicker PIR board below? I propose removing the blocks and fixing a batten to the perimeter/party walls and underneath the centre beam as the overall width is about 4.3m then relaying the blocks back into place. I am not sure what depth the void is but the integral garage with solid concrete floor is about 300mm below the height of the blocks topside. Will there be any issues regards airflow or moisture?

The other alternative is to remove the block and beams and fully insulate and concrete. The only issue here is the I live in a former dock area in SE London and a neighbour who recently had a single storey extension discovered a membrane about 1m below the soil. Is this why the B&B was laid in the first place so the structural floor didn't come into contact with the ground or is it safe to assume the soil above the membrane is safe?

I have also seen this Actis 7mm floor insulation as per link which would work a treat as topside insulation but r value are not certified and I can't find anyone how has used it for their opinion.
http://www.actis-isolation.com/fichepdt09.php?p=3&l=3&code=8

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back