Insulation between floors in new extenstion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone just after some advice on what insulation would you put in floor joists in our new build extenstion,its a kitchen on the ground floor and our bedroom on the first floor.But there are 10 downlights in the kitchen ceiling gu10's the joist's are the eco joist's.
Thanks in advance Steve

Sponsored Links
Where are you wanting to put the insulation. In the floor under the kitchen, or between the kitchen and bedroom?

I'm guessing you are referring to the floor between the kitchen and bedroom, because of the details of the lights. If so, don't bother, both rooms will be at a similar temperature give or take a few degrees, so heat transfer will be minimal, and if any heat does transfer, it will reduce the heat required by the radiator in the bedroom anyway, so it's not wasted.

The instructions with the lights will tell you how much clearance they need, but by the time you've allowed for that there probably won't be space for much insulation anyway.

Hi stem
yes its between the kitchen ceiling and the bedroom floor void so you don't think its worth putting any insulation in it would be easier for lights cables and pipes etc,any more thoughts cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
Do you think building control will be ok with not putting any in?,i am putting 270mm in the loft,cheers Steve

Hi stem
yes its between the kitchen ceiling and the bedroom floor void so you don't think its worth putting any insulation in it would be easier for lights cables and pipes etc,any more thoughts cheers Steve

maybe for sound....

Do you think building control will be ok with not putting any in?,i am putting 270mm in the loft,cheers Steve
I'm sure they will. They will only be concerned about heat escaping from your house to the outside through the walls, windows roof and ground floor. After all, I can't imagine anyone insulating the interior walls between rooms, so why the floors between rooms?

Insulation stops heat travelling from the inside of your house say at 20 deg to the outside of the house at .....well as low as -15 this winter. That's a 35 deg differential.

Heat won't transfer that much indoors anyway as the differential will be much less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back