downlights - insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting a bit confused regarding downlights and whether they can/can’t be insulated over.

We need to install 15 downlights in the ceiling in our new extension (in-between the joists of the ground and first floor) so we also need acoustic wool to fit inside the cavity.

Originally I was buying normal downlighters, buying ‘boxes’ to go over them and then will lay the insulation straight over the top. Then after a visit to CEF recently, they said just to buy fire rated lights and these can be insulated around as normal. Upon researching on the internet there seems to be conflicting advice.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
No, that is bad advice. Fire rated downlighters are purely and simply to stop the spread of fire to the floor or roof space above.

They are fitted with intumescent seals etc which expand on heat to seal the hole in the ceiling. They are likely to be made from non-combustible or retardant materials.

Your first approach is the correct one (a box over the fitting) subject to manufacturer air space requirements.

That's true but you need to check the LED first as some get silly hot on the back depending on the driver built into the unit but finding cool running bulbs is a useful workaround :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice - looks like i'll be going with the boxes then!

I've some at quite a cheap-ish price on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Downlight-Insulation-Guards-spotlight-protection-cover-loft-recessed-steel-/221659552869?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item339bf05c65)

Although these look like they are for a loft space - do I need to buy different ones when going in-between floors as the 120mm height would mean that i can't get any acoustic wool over the top of it?

I will eventually replace all the bulbs with LED but for meantime I will be using the halogen bulbs that come with the light.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi there,just thought i might suggest something to save you some cash.

My uncle had an extension done few years ago,and Bldng Control accepted boxes made out of plasterboard. It was doubled up 12.5mm board and had a gap od 50mm all around the light.oh and heat resistant silicon was used to join it held with screws.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that! I assume you need to put holes in it or leave a gap at the bottom

It'll probably take me ages to make them but would be nice to save a bit of cash!

Just spoken to our electrician and he said that he would suggest buying buying fire rated light and leaving a six inch gap in the insulation around each light, so now I am confused. Is this normal practice or it will allow sound to travel through to the upstairs bedrooms?

round n round we go..................

The airspace is to help prevent overheating, if you want to carry on using halogens, you need good clearance AND fire protection on a seperating floor.

You still need fire protection with LED, but you need much less airspace to prevent overheating, and overheating with LED's is mostly just a risk of some models stop working, , not getting hot enough to cause a fire.

Swap to led's or carry on using halogens and follow your electricians advice.

You can't fit out for LED's with the intention of 'at some point' fitting them and using halogens.

It is a fire risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back