Downlight choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am fitting downlight on first floor, the joists in the loft are 80mm high and also there is loft insulation between joists. The GU10 downlights are over 110mm high but built in LED downlights are about 80mm, both can come with the insulation coverable feature.

Should I just go for the LED built in downlights? Will I be able to pull off from the ceiling side if need to replace or service?
I can't put boards on joists if I use GU10 downlights.

Any other options I have?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ones that light the room well without needing lots of them and don't need holes cut in the ceiling and removal of insulation.

Sponsored Links
My downlight choice is that I choose not to fit downlights.

Read the title.

Agree with others (and BAS!), downlights not good for room illumination, only for spot illumination. Especially poor if on landing or low ceiling rooms as they make cones of light onto floor. Also the ceiling holes can cause drafts and damp / condensation / mold in loft.

I also would not put floor onto 80mm joists, as would be expecting those very shallow joists to flex and damage ceilings.

But if this is what you want, try these: 'saxby orbital'. Reputable brand and supplier so driver less likely to catch fire (not eBay) , fire rated so keeps you safer after cutting holes in ceiling, depth less than 80mm, relatively bright, and relatively wide light dispersion angle at 120°, and can pull out from room side to replace later.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Saxby-Orbi...Warm-White-Matt-White-Downlight---9W/p/213334

https://www.google.com/search?q=Saxby+Orbital+Plus&oq=Saxby+Orbital+Plus

Sfk

Last edited:
the joists in the loft are 80mm high and also there is loft insulation between
80mm is totally inadequate for loft insulation.
If overboarding, the boards will need to be installed onto extension legs so a decent amount of insulation can be installed, such as 300mm.
Slimline lights won't be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back