Loft insulation over downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i have a question regarding insulation over my downlighters, do I need fire covers over my lights? The previous owner of the house installed Aurora Dlm 983 and 981s upstairs. Thing is they've been installed in such a way that a cover won't be able to fit properly over all of them. I've taken this from their website "Fixed GU10 Lock Ring Fire Rated Downlight with an integrated intumescent material that completely seals the downlight and cut-out in the event of a fire. Suitable for use with LED Bulbs. Downlight has been tested in 30, 60 and 90 minute fire rated ceilings", does this negate the need for a a cover?
Bit of a long winded question, I apologise!

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Fire hoods / covers are there to reduce the spread of flames when the room below is on fire.
Those downlights are already fire rated, adding another fire hood over them will achieve very little.

Whether loft insulation can be placed over them without causing overheating is an entirely unrelated issue, some can, others may require a certain space between the light and the insulation.

Fire hoods / covers are there to reduce the spread of flames when the room below is on fire.
Those downlights are already fire rated, adding another fire hood over them will achieve very little.

Whether loft insulation can be placed over them without causing overheating is an entirely unrelated issue, some can, others may require a certain space between the light and the insulation.

Ok Thank-you for the reply. I cant find any info whether or not you can, ill try and contact them see if they're able to tell me

around maybe , but surely not over. I used to fit these years ago regularly until screwfix brought out lap sealed spots. iirc they have holes at the top of the can.
so still a risk if the lamp itself overheats.
May be wrong though as toolstation do another one which looks very similar.

Sponsored Links
around maybe , but surely not over. I used to fit these years ago regularly until screwfix brought out lap sealed spots. iirc they have holes at the top of the can.
so still a risk if the lamp itself overheats.
May be wrong though as toolstation do another one which looks very similar.
I found some covers (eventually!!) Seems they're a discontinued product. The covers allow for insulation cover

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back