Insulation for box in shed - How thick do I need it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pressure washer kept in my shed that I need to protect from frost. I have 25mm thick silver coated foam insulation boards that I intend to make a box to house it inside the shed. My question is - How thick do I need to make it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No amount of insulation will keep the machine warm - it will just increase the time it takes to freeze (and the time it takes to thaw once it has frozen).

As Burnerman said, best to drain all the water out of the machine, then there's nothing to freeze.

No amount of insulation will keep the machine warm - it will just increase the time it takes to freeze (and the time it takes to thaw once it has frozen).

As Burnerman said, best to drain all the water out of the machine, then there's nothing to freeze.

Thats absolutely correct, and something that many people don't know about insulation....it can't possibly provide heat, it only retains what heat (or cold!) there was in the first place.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It might be different up there where you are but I have never had frost 'inside' my shed before :?:

Aha but you are from the tropical 'sooth'.....I'm at 900' above sea level in the Northumbrian Tyne valley...and the cold is bone cracking here. Wouldn't swap it though!
John :D

if your shed is going to average around 0 for a complete cycle of 24hrs then i wouldnt worry
and by that i mean it can be minus 6 overnight as long as the daytime temperature is 12 degrees
the stored energy will slowly dissipate

if you use your shed the temperature will seldom drop bellow zero unless the daytime temperature goes below zero for a day or 2
boil 1.5L off water top up the kettle with 0.5L cold water
fill a 2L bottle and leave in your insulated box
replenish every evening untill the average 24hr temp is about 2 above freezing

or leave enough room to install a 11w low energy bulb in the box that comes on at 7 and off at 7 unless its below zero all day then 24 hrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back