Insulation for concrete floors

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

My house has a concrete floor. On top of it, is a damp-proof membrane, probably tarpauline. On top of that is something called asphalt. That asphalt is quite hard, it's brown colour. House built in 1958.

I've taken out the hearth next to the fireplace. But, that has left an area of bare concrete. I probably ought to lay upon it some insulation.

What is todays pouring product for insulating concrete floors?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you sit on the floor, you will find it quiet cold and uncomfortable.
If you then place a 1/2 inch thick layer of polystyrene on the floor, and sit on it, you will find the floor warmer more comfortable.
The best way to insulate a floor is to lay sheets of polystyrene, or Styrofoam over it, then cover with a fully floating floor made of glued t&g oriented strand board or similar.
Anything from 1/2 to 4 inches of closed cell insulation will save a lot of heat and make the room more comfortable.

I could use mastic asphalt, like the floor is covered with. But, I think I'd have to employ a contracter to lay it. A lot of money for a small arera covered.

I probably could do with a pouring substitute for that mastic asphalt.

Sponsored Links
I could use mastic asphalt, like the floor is covered with. But, I think I'd have to employ a contracter to lay it. A lot of money for a small arera covered.

I probably could do with a pouring substitute for that mastic asphalt.

For that small patch I would use self levelling cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back