Insulation/ heat loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I constantly automatically log and graph temperatures and weather. Its a three bed semi, cavity wall with CWI, apart from the (very cold 9" wall utility + pantry) and double glazed. Loft I converted years ago, into an unofficial electronics workshop, accessed via a loft ladder. The loft floor has insulation under it, the loft ceiling is plaster boarded and insulated and the loft access is usually closed. I added extract fans where needed, to avoid damp. I devised a very effective dehumidifier and wall fan system for drying clothes in winter in the utility. There are no other heat sources in the house, than the gas CH. Living room has a couple of tons of stone fireplace, which I guess acts as a pretty good heat store to help even out temperatures.

Before I did all the above, it was a terribly cold draughty place, with ill fitting windows and doors. It cost a fortune just to keep it slightly warm.

It is very different now...
Our general house (the hall) temperature was recorded at 11pm when the heating went off for the night as 18.1C, out side it was -3.2C and rapidly fell during the night to -4.7C. The heating didn't fire overnight. This morning outdoors is -6.1C, at 8:53. indoors the temperature has only fallen to 16.3C. I might even nudge the heating on soon :)

I call that a pretty good figures for heat loss. Does anyone else bother actually logging temperatures?

Sponsored Links
Call me old fashioned, but I just crank up the heating when its a bit cold.

I don't, I don't need to - it just doesn't get cold in here, or at least that cold. I was just seeking some comparative figures so I could get some ideas on good or bad my efforts at insulating have been in practice.

Sponsored Links
I have Drayton Wiser smart heating, and it produces heat graphs for the various rooms showing external temperature, internal target tempertature (thermostat settings) and internal actual.

Here is a report for one room. The comparison I suppose is the time period from 1:00 to 5:00 AM

foto_no_exif (4).jpg

A bit of celotex or polystyrene on the back of the loft hatch can make it fit better and keep the cold air out.

I put logs on the wood burner when it’s cold and open a window when I start to sweat. Around 26 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Back