Government Grants? - Insulation, heating and hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone may have some advice regarding the various incentive schemes that are in place as I am getting very confused the more I read!

We have bought an old farm cottage that needs renovating and extending. I have been researching two areas of grants/incentives -

1 - Insulation.
2 - Heat/hot water generation.

I have pretty much written off anything to do with the Heat/hot water generation as we are unlikely to stay in the property long enough to see the benefit of the additional cost of installing greener systems (I do believe in selecting greener energy as much as possible, but Im not about to prop up the industry if it doesn't stack up financially!).

However I am keen to ensure we upgrade the insulation as much as we can. My problem is this -

a - We have solid walls in the old house, and I can't seem to find any information on help to upgrade internal insulation of the walls (the existing insulation is unbelievably poor!). Everything seems to be about cavity walls.

b - The loft insulation is very old, poor quality and poorly fitted so would also need replacing. However we will be removing the roof to re-tile it and connect the extension roof and loft space to the existing roof and loft. I have tried to find information as to whether this would mean we don't get help with upgrading the older space, or whether we can get help to put the best insulation we can in the whole of the extended loft space when complete?

Does anybody have any recent experience or can point me in the direction of resources which might help me understand what is available?

In case of any doubt I think our household income, while not well off, would mean we would be unlikely to qualify for 100% grants where they only go to low income households/those with child tax credits etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice! It will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

Sponsored Links
a - We have solid walls in the old house, and I can't seem to find any information on help to upgrade internal insulation of the walls (the existing insulation is unbelievably poor!). Everything seems to be about cavity walls.

rigid insulation fixed to the outside of the wall, with render, obviously not a small job.

I am not aware of any other option worth bothering with (you can't add much to the inside walls without risking damp, or loosing room space).

[/quote]b - The loft insulation is very old, poor quality and poorly fitted so would also need replacing. However we will be removing the roof to re-tile it and connect the extension roof and loft space to the existing roof and loft. I have tried to find information as to whether this would mean we don't get help with upgrading the older space, or whether we can get help to put the best insulation we can in the whole of the extended loft space when complete? [/quote]

For the existing roof space you can get 200mm rolls of insulation for 3-5 pounds, you can get it at B&Q etc., it's subsidised for DIY use, hence the price.

Sponsored Links

rigid insulation fixed to the outside of the wall, with render, obviously not a small job.

I am not aware of any other option worth bothering with (you can't add much to the inside walls without risking damp, or loosing room space).

b - The loft insulation is very old, poor quality and poorly fitted so would also need replacing. However we will be removing the roof to re-tile it and connect the extension roof and loft space to the existing roof and loft. I have tried to find information as to whether this would mean we don't get help with upgrading the older space, or whether we can get help to put the best insulation we can in the whole of the extended loft space when complete?

For the existing roof space you can get 200mm rolls of insulation for 3-5 pounds, you can get it at B&Q etc., it's subsidised for DIY use, hence the price.

Back