Insulation in to the eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My house has very high ceilings, meaning there is a diagonal part of the ceiling where its parallel with the roof.

Using a I/R temperature reader from inside the room, these parts of the ceiling are 2-3degs colder than the main flat part of the ceiling. Looking in the loft shows 6" insulation on the flat, but it doesn't go down the gap in to the eaves - hence the lower temp.

Now I know I should be careful about pushing insulation down the gap, as this is where the ventilation for the roof space comes in, but could I, for example, alternate gaps so I still get ventilation but an insulation improvement, or is there another reason why insulation shouldn't touch the roof felting etc?

TIA

James

Sponsored Links
the only effective way to insulate a 'raked' ceiling is by using a rigid insulation board such as cellotex or kingspan. this way you could leave a 25mm airgap between the insulation board and the tile battens/felt.

to achieve modern 'u' values further insulation would be required underdrawn, across the rafters i.e 25mm cellotex or insulated plasterboard.

Thanks Noseall,

Just one question - what do you mean by underdrawn - is this where you attach the insulation under the ceiling rather than on top?

James

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back