Insulation and the eaves...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When insulating your loft, is it OK to block the gap in the eaves (even a bit) or is this gap essential for ventilation?

Its just as the insulation is now, they have left a good 12" gap and now that its getting colder, I feel its ventilated more than it should be!....but I dunno, thats why I need you guys help :) .....

Sponsored Links
Err...blimey....soffit, i think. Haven't investigated from outside yet but from inside the loft, it looks like the gap goes straight down.

Its a converted victorian house with a slate roof with some felted, some not...if that helps...

Scrub that...i think it must be the other....just gone and looked outside and I cant see any soffit at all...just the gutter fixed straight to the top of the wall..so does it vent out the top of the wall...?

your roof probably ha no purpose made venting at all. it may be draughty enough!

there will be no problem with stuffing insulation down into the eaves, as your roof doesn't seem to vent from this area.

if you decided to add vents at the soffit or fascia, then you would need to fit preformed eaves ventilators prior to fitting the insulation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back