Insulation of ceramic floor tiles

Sponsored Links
The difficulty would be height. How much do you have?
May I recommend: If it is a largish - well used area such as a kitchen that you install underfloor heating.
It will not (as much as they would love you to believe) heat the room very well - but it will take the chill off the floor... so it is nice to walk in barefoot.

A slightly cheaper option is to lay marine plywood - that may insulate against the cold concrete a little... as wood is a good insulator.

Thanks a lot. We are taking about a 260 sqfeet livingroom area. The plywood should be layed on the concrete and the tiles on top of the wood? Or would I need additional mortar before I can lay the tile? Wood backerboard be an option?

Sponsored Links
I watched tilers spread tile adhesive straight onto plywood. Then waited an hour and finished job by coloured grout to joints. This was walkable with care but best left for a day. As floor tiles so expensive and job so quick you might consider letting them do the cutting and placing.
Tiler will follow profile of floor as uses consistent spreader. Would suggest you check if concrete floor has slope or is very uneven. There are latex compounds you can use to correct small errors and cement based compounds for bigger thicknesses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back