Floor tiling over plastic type tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to lay ceramic tiles in my small cloakroom/toilet. The concrete floor is covered with the old plastic-type tiles. Some around the edges are loose and can be removed leaving the adhesive on the concrete. The remaining plastic tiles are stuck fast.
I intend to level the floor off where tiles are missing, then tile over it with 60cm square ceramic tiles. I have bought a pot of adhesive for concrete floors. Will this be good enough to use, or will I need to exchange it for something more suitable?
Many thanks, Ken

Sponsored Links
I don't think you'll get any tile adhesive to stick to plastic.

Tile adhesive sticks fine to vinyl tiles so long as they're clean and fixed firmly. I'd just fill the space where the loose tiles were with adhesive. If your adhesive is pre-mixed, take it back for some powdered stuff - look for an adhesive recommended for use with porcelain tiles to account for the lack of porosity of the vinyl tiles.

Sponsored Links
Tile adhesive sticks fine to vinyl tiles so long as they're clean and fixed firmly. I'd just fill the space where the loose tiles were with adhesive. If your adhesive is pre-mixed, take it back for some powdered stuff - look for an adhesive recommended for use with porcelain tiles to account for the lack of porosity of the vinyl tiles.
:D

:D Thanks a lot guys. I will do that.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back