Insulation of outgoing control heating pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is actually for a Webasto system on a boat but it works similar to a normal boiler. If the water temp returns to the boiler quite high then the boiler will throttle down.

However in my boat things aren’t quite as simple as it isn’t pressurised for a start and there are many bends and turns.

I’ve insulated both the outgoing hot pipe and the return pipe after the water has flowed around the circuit to the radiators.

I find however the system throttles down quite easily. Would it help for me to remove the insulation from the return pipe in order to loose more heat and therefore encourage the heater to throttle up some more?

Sponsored Links
Where would the heat lost from the uninsulated return pipe go? Would it heat somewhere useful, or would it be lost? If it would heat somewhere useful then you could remove the insulation and get a bit more heat. Not otherwise, as the boiler output would increase just enough to allow from the new loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back