Insulation of solid brick wall and chimney/ log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice. I wish to insulate this external wall internally with insulated plasterboard.

The old log burner is coming out and to be replaced with a new one.

I have asked several builders who said putting an insulated plasterboard onto the plaster dot and dab above the log burner is no problem.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Would it not be a massive fire hazard?

Also if I used Kooltherm K118 Insulated Plasterboard would I require a VCL or does this come with the board?

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
I'm looking at similar project.

From what I had read before, you don't insulate the chimney breast, as when the burner is lit, you are keeping the heat in the chimney.
In my opinion, most of the heat comes from the stove, so I think the 'loss' will be very small... I'd sooner have the benefits of insulation for the days when the burner is not in use.

I will be using 50mm foam/celotex for the front & sides of the breast, plasterboard and skim.

From your picture the opening (where the burner sits) is tighter to the burner than mine, does it currently get warm when the burner is in operation?
If so, you'll need to stop the insulation before... could you not take it to the wooden fireplace?

Wouldn't imagine you'd need a VCL... but I'd be curious if more knowledgeable folk will advise differently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back