Insulation over downlighter (Aurora model)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever used these: Aurora Universal Compact Fixed 12/240V Fire Rated Downlight

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Lighting-Products/Indoor-Luminaires/Fire-Rated-Downlighting/Universal™/Aurora-Universal-Compact-Fixed-12-240V-Fire-Rated-Downlight.aspx

They claim to be safe even when covered with insulation: Fitted insulation cover cap allows the downlights to be IC rated - covered with insulation material if necessary. That would be great for my purposes, but I find it hard to understand how the little cap performs the same function as a 50mm gap from insulation.

(If I go ahead I will fit them with LEDs, but that doesn't prevent a subsequent home owner putting in a 50W Halogen)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes fitted a few of these, had no call backs concerning outbreaks of fire yet!
The MI says halogen lamps can be used, so if they are swapped out should be OK.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, but after discussing it further with SWMBO we've decided that the moved light can stay as a pendant. So it should be easier now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back