Insulation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have built an extension on top of a single storey ground floor extension. The original extension only had a 50mm cavity so the new build has the same. My building inspector has told me that because the cavity is only 50mm then i must fit plasterboard with a 50mm insulation. My question :-
Is there anything else i can use that is thinner that will satisfy the inspector?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unlikely.

When we set out brick/block-work for an extension, customers always comment on the size (100mm) of the cavities, giving the overall thickness of new walls in excess of 300mm.

I tell them you can have smaller cavities if you wish but you pay for that with insulation internally, thus bringing the wall up to the same thickness. There is no magic wand i'm afraid.

You could have your building designer look at your heat loss calculations and see if he can come up with a way of bolstering maybe the loft insulation in lieu of say thinner or zero insulation on the walls.

Whenever we are faced with your situation (thicker walls going on to of thinner walls below) we always look at ways of achieving a full 100mm cavity in order to avoid fitting insulation onto the inner face of the internal wall. Having insulation on the inside throws up all kinds of fixing problems later on.

Especially if you were say fitting a kitchen! Nightmare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back