Insulation Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently re-furbing a downstairs room, replacing the old plaster with drywall, attached to a new timber frame.

Three of the walls are external walls, which are very old stone and lime construction - no cavity.

I would like to insulate these walls and wondered if I require an air gap between the insulation and the plasterboard, or can I fill the space tightly with insulation.

Sponsored Links
Is the building listed? It seems likely if it is "very old stone". If so, the listed building people will advise on how you should (must) insulate.

Please keep us updated with how you get on; I have a similar project that I plan to do over the summer.

Is the building listed? It seems likely if it is "very old stone". If so, the listed building people will advise on how you should (must) insulate.

Please keep us updated with how you get on; I have a similar project that I plan to do over the summer.

Hi...the building is not listed. It's an old detached Scottish croft cottage built mainly from stone/lime mortar with dressed stone around the windows and doors.

All I am doing is replacing the internal walls which were lathe and plaster on a stud timber frame, both of which were in a very poor state. I've pulled it all back to the bare wall and now in the process of replacing with newer material.

With regard the insulation, I had thought about going down the route of a natural material, such as sheep wool, in between the stone and the plasterboard, rather than Kingspan or similar.

Sponsored Links
Historic Scotland have some goods case studies:

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/refurbcasestudies

See e.g. the Kildonan cottage, number 6.

How much room size are you prepared to lose? You need a thicker layer of e.g. wool, hemp or wood fibre than "modern" materials.

Getting the moisture-related properties right is something that the historic building people consider important.

Historic Scotland have some goods case studies:

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/refurbcasestudies

See e.g. the Kildonan cottage, number 6.

How much room size are you prepared to lose? You need a thicker layer of e.g. wool, hemp or wood fibre than "modern" materials.

Getting the moisture-related properties right is something that the historic building people consider important.

Thanks for that...I'll give it a read...similar looking building (apart from my full length flat roof dormer). The room I'm working on is bottom right. I also have a steading attached to this wall, slightly lower in height.

Can I re-open this thread...?

Insulation (ThermaFleece) now being fitted behind plasterboarding...but what should I do about cable runs to sockets...???

Can the cable be against the insulation or should it be held apart somehow...???

It's probably OK if the cable is sandwiched between the insulation and the plasterboard, but not OK if entirely surrounded by insulation.

Is this a ring circuit, in 2.5mm^2 cable, with a 32A MCB?

It's probably OK if the cable is sandwiched between the insulation and the plasterboard, but not OK if entirely surrounded by insulation.

Is this a ring circuit, in 2.5mm^2 cable, with a 32A MCB?

Thanks, that was what I was looking to do...insulation against wall, cable run and then plasterboard.

And yes, it's a ring circuit in 2.5mm with a 32a circuit breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back