Insulation questions.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cut into the cavity wall of our bungalow some time ago and found a very loose packing of flock which suggests that the insulation is not that effective so is it possible to actually measure how effective a buildings insulation is and if so what sort of organisation does it?
I'm sure that I read somewhere that one should not just drop insulation in between the loft joists and then board over it. Is that a fact and if so how does on insulate a loft and board it?

Sponsored Links
Lofts tend to get more than 100mm of insulation these days, often in 2 layers laid at right angles to each other, first layer between the joists. You then need loft flooring legs to support any boarding because if you crush the insulation and expel some of the air trapped within it that will reduce the efficiency of the material as an insulator

Most new buildings are designed to be energy efficient, but still require a pressure test to ensure that air leakage (and therefore heat loss/drafts) are minimised (depending on the ventilation design)

Cold spots (which indicate poor insulation and/or air leakage points) are often identified visually using a FLIR (infra red) camera

You can get a building engineer to do an energy efficiency survey, if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the information.
Regards. BML

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back