Insulation recommendations for brick built outbuilding pleas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to convert a brick built workshop into an office.
Since it is an outbuilding I do not think i need building regs, but i will still try and do a job good enough to meet them if required :)

Currently the room has a concrete slab floor single brick walls.
the roof is pitched, but there is already a ceiling which i have fitted 120mm Celotex between the joists.

I am planning to build a raised wooden floor using 100mm *50mm joists and with 18mm tongue and groove chipboard on top.
Anymore than that and I would need to raise the door.

I will install a DPM, I was planning on using 100mm Celotex for the floor and also the walls, but now I have read that i need an air gap.

Please can someone advise what size air gaps are required for the floor and walls and recommend what size celotex/Kingspan I should use.

Many Thanks in Advance
Steve

Sponsored Links
You don't necessarily need an air gap it depends upon what system you use.

Fully filling between 100mm studs with another 25mm across the studs will give you decent thermal resistance values.

You will be better off using foil coated insulation and be pretty accurate with cutting and sealing any gaps. Use foil tape and silicon mastic to seal gaps.

Using foil back plasterboards will add to any protection you already have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back