Insulation resistance test on a single cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve seen some online videos which show an insulation resistance test being done on a single 2.5mm T&E cable where one of the end is clamped by the MFT and the other end is hanging loose. Would such a test not always fail as the loose end will have some exposed copper next to the copper of the other wires?

Sponsored Links
Not if the cable has a good clean cut! :)
I may be wrong, but I think the maximum arc distance for 500V DC is 0.05mm, when the insulation thickness on 2.5 T&E is about 0.8mm.
So I believe an IR test of several kV may be needed to fail a 2.5mm T&E with a clean cut?
The length of the cable, humidity and contamination etc. may also effect the results!

Last edited:
I have done insulation tests using higher voltages, the spy holiday detector was used on pipe lines to test the rap, I think around 2500 volt was used, with an earth wire that looked like the inner of a speedo cable, and a wand and coil which was walked up the pipe, it was 1980 in Algeria where I used these, over 40 years ago, so can't remember all details, know I wreaked an AVO Mk8 working on them, it blow the germanium diode.

But with domestic the insulation tester only uses 500 volt.

Sponsored Links
We used to test HV motor coils with 13,000 volts. You could smell the ozone if the insulation broke down. Lovely crackling sounds as it happened.

When I first started PAT'ing (many years ago!), my department was still using ancient Clare testers and performing 3kV flash tests on class II appliances!
25A earth bond tests can also be entertainingly misused, for welding and destroying components on PCB's/motherboards! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back