Insulation Resistance Test With Lamps In (PICS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have mentioned this before with regards some thread somewhere.....

If you carryout a PIR and state a limitation to INS RES testing from L to E and N to E only (as in not between L and N due to lamp removal etc), you may be surprised with the readings you get.

I did a site with loads of chandelliers with BC candle lamps, it was impracticle to remove lamps, so a limitation was noted. The INS RES was pretty much flat down. It turned out to be the lamps......

This is a pic of a typical BC metal (earthed) lamp holder (not form the site mentioned above).
1286209827.jpg

This is the reading of the lamp. It was originally around 2M, but increased as I tested. I have seen far lower!
1286209826.jpg

This is the reading of an identical lamp from a similar fitting.
1286209828.jpg

So, if you decide not to remove lamps and not test L to N, if you get some low readings, check the lamp bulbs!

Sponsored Links
Thats interesting, not seen that before... bad batch of lamps?

If you carryout a PIR and state a limitation to INS RES testing from L to E and N to E only (as in not between L and N due to lamp removal etc)

As we are having an educational thread :D, I'll point out that testing like that on a PIR could lead to misfortune...when youhave a lighting circuit with sensitive fittings on (or any circuit with sesnitive equipment) then its inadviseable to carry out separate insulation tests between live and earth and neutral to earth, and instead both should be linked together and tested to earth as one test, the former has the potential to apply 500v between live and neutral if the circuit has a fault.

[/b]

Well obviously you test at 250v first to make sure nothing is still connected.

What is a 'sensitive' light fitting!? surely it's always preferable to do separate tests once all equipment, neons, transformers etc have been disconnected?

Sponsored Links
It is always preferable to carry out a full ins res test, but this can sometimes be un-economic or just extreamly difficult due to access.

For example - a house full of SELV downlights, a row of fluorescent battens, a chandallier with 40 lamps above a stairwell, a row of outside lighting columns, sign lighting etc etc.

Limitations to a standard house would be classed as lazy TBH.

I have seen this across sites and over a few years - it is not dodgy lamps as far as I am concerned, but it appears every so often you come across lamps which will cause this. The chandallier I referred to had loads of lamps in it that caused this issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back