Insulation standing proud of battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My insulation stands equal to or a bit proud of the battens I plan to fix plasterboard to. In the picture below the insulation is somewhat loose and I can push it so its equal to the batten.

1. Is plasterboard pliable enough for this not to be a big problem?
2. Is this a problem for wiring?

Cheers

I
1424314a-2424-4d51-8d51-2daec7c58f29.jpg

Sponsored Links
That won’t be any good, you will end up cracking the plasterboard as you screw in.

And those slithers aren’t very good - they are gappy, they need taking out and expanding foam in them: use a metal foam gun and gun grade foam and adjust right down so the foam comes out slowly

Yeah I was planning to spray foam the gaps and then cover everything exposed with silver foil tape. As for the electrics my plan was to cut channels in the insulation for wires and then foil tape that as well.

The wall undulates a bit hence the discrepancy. And the wood wasn't exactly cut as advertised but I never noticed till now. I will try my luck with 9mm plasterboard.

It's a gym in the back of the garden so will only be used for a few hours at most.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Batten it out again on top of the studs, using something thin like 19mm or doorstop

Nobody can judge from the photos. If you can push it in fairly easily then the plasterboard will be able to. If it needs a hefty shove then it will bend or break the plasterboard. Judgement required... yours!

But your cutting is terrible. There are ways of cutting a straight line, you need one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back