Insulation UNDER a bedroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a first floor bedroom the front wall of which is linked to a porch roof. There is a void under the bedroom floor running out into the porch roof. Consequently the room is difficult to heat as cold air from the porch roof area comes thru the void under the bedroom floor. What should I use to insulate the area under the floor boards? Should I block the void?

Sponsored Links
Mineral/Rock wool is as good as anything.
The one concern would be "electrical cables and thermal insulation"
By introducing thermal insulation to an area where electrical cables are, you will be altering the method of which the cables where installed (known as the "reference method")
This will affect the current carry capacity (CCC) of the cables.
A derating correction factor of the cables maximum CCC, may need to be applied.
In most cases, the lighting circuits on 5A or 6A devices are unaffected, but power circuit (sockets, heaters, cookers, showers etc..) are, as these cables are often more closely rated to the current they demand.
They can quite quickly be reduced to 50% of the current rating of the cable.

Helpful Link
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.6.htm

cables are OK as long as the insulation is over, or preferably under, them, but they are not buried or encased in it. If there is free air on at least one side, the heat can escape.

If you have <vom> downlighters, you can get a smoke hood that will keep the wool off them (also dust) or can easily make little boxes with plasterboard, which will also reduce noise a bit.

You can fill the void completely where there are no cables, this will block draughts as well as adding insulation. You need a ventilated 50mm air gap under any tiles or other roofing as a precaution against damp.

I would only use mineral wool treated with Ecose which binds the fibres to prevent dust and loose fibres escaping. It is brown not yellow. It is made by Knauf but sold under own-brand names as well, but the packaging will show the word "Ecose".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back